People will tell you to be the best version of yourself, or maybe they encourage to be a better person. But what does that even mean?
The best definition I’ve found for the phrase is “to reach your maximum potential in every area of your life.” This includes your work, your relationships, and even your physical appearance/body image.
Even as a native speaker, it can be difficult to understand what is truly meant.
When you are being the best version of yourself, it means that you’re being your highest self in every capacity. Essentially you shed your old self who may have suffered from a fear of failure your whole life, or have let yourself become defined by hard times, or someone who is constantly running in different directions with a lack of purpose.
There are many areas that fall under the category of “being the best version of yourself.” What this phrase really comes down to is being a compassionate and conscientious human being who cares for others as well as themselves.
In short, the phrase “be the best version of yourself” means being your highest self in every area of your life in active pursuit of developing your potential.
Think of it in terms of a jug. If you have the capacity of 10 gallons, but are only filled to 1 gallon, you have the potential for much more.
If you look to the self-help leaders like Tony Robbins, Les Brown and Bob Proctor, and the like, you will most likely notice that they are clear that noone can tell you who you are, nor has any idea of what you could ultimately achieve.
Be A Better Version Of You – Making A Quantum Leap
The first thing that comes to mind when I think about what the best version of anyone actually is, I think David Goggins. If you haven’t read his book called: Can’t Hurt Me, I highly recommend you read it (check price on Amazon).
He was an overweight pest control tech, who worked nights trying to make ends meet. In a matter of weeks, he was able to turn himself into an unstoppable force to be reckoned with, ultimately becoming a navy seal. Today he is an ultra marathoner.
He shaves his head daily, and was forced to get honest with who he was. He chose a new path and pushed himself to become the best version of himself. In the audible version of the book, he adds multiple question and answer sections. In one of the sessions, he said (I’m paraphrasing), that when he dies and goes to meet his maker, he hopes to hear the following words from his creator, “Wow, I knew you were capable of reaching this and that and even this goal, but I hadn’t thought you were going to be able to accomplish these other things (followed by a list of things his creator never even thought he might accomplish).
The reason I bring this up is because really noone knows what type of potential you have locked inside you. You really have to clear on this.
The big question, is what is it going to take for you to unlock it?
Self Improvement And Personal Development Demystified
So what does all this mean in action? In short, it comes down to relating to yourself in a new way and recognizing that you the power to shape your life. Setting goals for yourself and achieving them. Successful people realize that even achieving small goals will help you in the process or reaching higher levels.
Before I go into a lot of detail, I want to mention that you might that in reality, you as a being are already perfect, fearfully, and wonderfully made. So, an important thing to understand that this article isn’t about pointing out that you are flawed or have a bad design.
Rather, it’s about exploring the realms of possibility and all of the great things that you specifically are well equipped to experience. As human beings it’s common for us to seek comfort. The idea of change isn’t fun, but it is the only way to have a positive impact in your own life.
I think this inspirational quote sums up what is required to start heading in the right direction.
It’s not what you are that holds you back, it’s what you think you are not.Denis Waitley
There is a way to go to work on your self image that can allow you to begin to expand outside of what you know to be possible. If you take a look at the “Thinking into Results Program,” you will find it there.
So how can you immediately begin to take massive action towards developing your hidden potential?
Adopting the following ideas and habits will put you on your way to becoming the best version of yourself.
Doing The Hard Work – Forming Habits And New Ways That Propel You Towards Becoming The Best Version Of Yourself
- Make the Connection Between Mental Health and Sleep – When was the last time you got enough sleep? A brain that is well rested will support higher levels of focus and creativity.
- Get rid of Bad Habits – Results come from actions. If you are doing good things that are in alignment with your goals, you will get better results.
The opposite is true. The next time you get results you don’t like, take a look at what actions led to them. See if you can create a list of new things and different ways to lead you to your best self.
- Take Nutrition Seriously – If you are at a place where your physical being isn’t the best it can be, then working on that area will enable you to open up even more possibilities for yourself.
Figure out what the next step for you is in making better nutritional choices.
- Spend Time in Meditation and Prayer– This is a time when you can do nothing and completely relax. As you focus on your innerpeace, you will get more connected to the present moment.
Reflect on essential aspects of your journey that are moving you forward.
You may find that you ask better questions and open the door for bettter life experiences.
- Get a Decent Amount of Exercise – Physical activity is a great way to release stress and ease your mind.
It’s also been scientifically proven that getting in physical activity every day helps improve your mental clarity.
Lastly, exercise can your best friend when it comes to learning to set new goals and achieve them. Track your progress.
- Learn to Say No – People tend to over commit themselves because they don’t want to disappoint others or feel that they have let someone down.
The best thing is to not let fear hold you back. Saying no can be a difficult thing for some, but the reality is that when you say yes to something, you are by default saying no to something else.
Often, you won’t notice that by saying yes to other people, you may be saying no to yourself without realizing it.
- Treat Yourself Well – Don’t forget that you have value and that putting yourself first on occasion is not only helpful, it’s a must if you want to have any energy to give to others.
Don’t talk negatively to yourself. Negotiate with yourself as you would with another person that you respect. Take massive action towards fulfilling promises you’ve made to yourself.
On the other hand, it’s also important from becoming self-absorbed and egotistical. Find balance.
- Never Stop Learning and Develop New Skills – There is no shortage of resources that can help you develop new skills, gain more confidence, make more money, and have a better attitude.
Create a custom program taylored to help you become the best version of yourself. An online course can be the first step. Answers that you are looking for are most likely already within reach. Be flexible.
Top performers know that elite minds are committed to learning. Schedule time for learning.
As an example, you can head over to your local library or quiet work space to take time for study.
- Do Something that Scares You even Just a Little – Start small. Actively head towards something you fear, it can give you access to set aside your fear.
Don’t be afraid to fail or to look foolish. Pursuing authenticity, vulnerability, and openness can help you experience more freedom.
By embracing your fears, it forces you out of your comfort zone and ultimately helps you feel more comfortable in your own skin.
- Set Goals (Write Them Down) – It’s important to set both long and short term goals, in which you can break down into actionable steps.
Let go of failures that you have had in the past. Realize they don’t define you or your success.
- Share Your Truth – Many people simply don’t share how they feel about things because they don’t want to offend anyone else or even worse, be judged for having an opinion of their own.
It’s important not to live inauthentically. Let others know the truth about who you are and what you need.
As you become the best version and person possible, you will find it easier to be clear about what you need.
- Follow Your Intuition – Don’t be afraid to go with your gut.
If it doesn’t feel right or doesn’t serve some type of positive purpose, then you have the power to choose a different road.
Spend less time people pleasing, and more time moving forward to what you deem as success.
- Express Appreciation to Others – In a world of competition, people tend to forget how to acknowledge others for their help.
It is essential to show appreciation to others. Recognize that you cannot go it completely alone and you path will require energy and support from others.
- Take care of your Mental and Emotional Health – If you don’t like how you feel or what certain patterns keep resurfacing, then start changing them. Be mindful of what comes into your mind, as this is where many of these negative thoughts stem from.
- Find a Community that Shares the Same Values – You’ve probably heard we are the sum of the five people we spend the most time with.
Having like-minded friends that are walking the same path as you is very important in order to stay accountable for your goals and dreams.
- Be Grateful for Who You Are, Have Become, or What You’ve Accomplished Up to this Point – This may seem simple, but it can be quite difficult for some to come up with even just three things that they are grateful for every day.
However, this is one of the most important practices that you can do. Gratitude has been shown clinically to increase happiness and satisfaction.
- Get Rid of Toxic Relationships – It doesn’t matter if it’s a friend, coworker, or family member. If they are negative influences, then make the decision to let them go.
Take an inventory of your relationships, and don’t hesitate creating some distance between them and you.
- Manage Your Self Talk with Digilence and Vigilence – It turns out Mom was right.
If you don’t have anything nice to say, well… don’t.
But she should have added, that includes what you tell yourself under your breath. Most people feel inadequate about something in their lives, but you can learn to stop thinking negatively about yourself or your accomplishments.
Learning to set aside false beliefs or overly destructive thoughts about your character or failures will help you build self confidence, and give you the power you need to progress towards new goals.